MorningSide is a neighborhood on the east side of Detroit, Michigan. The area is bounded by Harper Avenue and Interstate 94 on the north, Mack Avenue to the south, East Outer Drive and Whittier on the east and Alter Road and East Outer Drive to the west. The local association that shares the name MorningSide with the community is a collaboration of residents working together to take care of this area.
With many amenities – quick access to downtown Detroit and neighboring cities, good shopping choices, public/private schools and an active, engaged community – the neighborhood is an excellent choice for families and individual homeowners. The neighborhood association hosts activities including contests, home tours, garden club, annual garage sale and a holiday party. Established residents and new neighbors meet monthly to discuss issues, successes and general neighborhood information. The mutual support of neighbors and feeling of community is the heart of our neighborhood.
East English Village prides itself on the diversity of our community. We are one of the most racially mixed neighborhoods in the City of Detroit. Civil servants, blue collar workers, retirees and professionals from different ethnic groups, religions and sexual orientations have all found a welcome place here.
First developed in 1913, most of the distinctive brick homes of East English Village were built in the early 1930s through 1950. The solid architecture and high quality materials used in the homes continues to attract residents who value the charm and character of older homes.
We were formally established as Organized Neighbors East in 1977 for the purpose of maintaining and improving the neighborhood. A few years ago we changed our name to Cornerstone Village to reflect that we are the easternmost corner of Detroit’s east side.We have had great success in the past, protecting our park and other key areas from undesirable development. One project the Board recently worked on was petitioning the City to have our dangerous homes demolished.
Friends of the Alger Theater is an all-volunteer driven, non-profit community-based organization comprised of neighborhood residents and businesses founded in 1983. The organization was formed to address the decay and deterioration encroaching the neighborhood and to respond to the historic significance of the Alger Theater located at 16451 East Warren Avenue on Detroit’s far-east side.
From its opening to the public in 1935 until its closing in 1985, the “stately art deco movie house” known as the Alger Theater provided Detroit eastside residents with artistic and cultural enrichment. The 12,000 sq. ft., 800-seat theater was convenient, affordable and a state of the art facility – offering family friendly live performances and motion picture features. Neighboring merchants along East Warren Avenue were patronized by theater goers creating a vibrant, thriving community.